SMG Lead Cold Banquet Cook in Greenville, South Carolina
This is a hands-on position assisting the Sous Chef and Executive Chef with the preparation of food for catered events by following approved recipes and maintaining the highest production, presentation and sanitation standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow approved recipes and production standards in order to minimize waste and maximize quality and value.
- Maintain an organized and sanitary work station at all times.
- Produce and oversee all cold food production and displays. In accordance to specific recipes or as instructed by Sous Chef and/or Executive Chef and adjust quantity for fluctuation in volume. Produce daily and weekly prep lists.
- Perform weekly inventories of all bread and pastry items.
- Properly label and date food items for storage.
- Maintain and organize storage areas, refrigerators and freezers.
- Perform ongoing freezer pulls.
- Train part time and seasonal kitchen staff on proper procedures and sanitation standards.
- Assemble and complete final production of cold food items.
- Assist with plating of catered meals.
- Perform other duties as assigned and deemed necessary.
- Knowledge of all major kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Ability to properly operate ovens, stoves, grills, steamers, smokers, mixers, kettles, char-broilers and other kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to identify and properly use all kitchen small wares.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Strong knowledge of state health codes and sanitation standards.
- Ability to adhere to strict grooming standards established by SMG/TD Convention Center.
- Ability to recognize and utilize weights and measurements, both liquid and dry.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified.
- Ability to use cutlery and standard kitchen machinery.
- Maintains proper grooming and dress code standards.
- Work ethic encourages strong urgency and quality in a team environment
- Knowledge and skills in diverse culinary techniques including multi-ethnic cuisine, displays, Garde Manger, sauces, protein & vegetable cutting, plate presentation and sanitation.
- Skill in volume production and hands-on cooking.
- Ability to perform basic math functions necessary to execute recipe conversions and production quantities
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work extended hours productively.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two-year culinary degree or appropriate continuing education credits preferred.
- Minimum of two years' experience in a cook's position or culinary degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in banquet operations.
- Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Daily lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs for up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Constant standing, walking, stooping.
- Constant reaching, handling products.
- Fast-paced, very physical environment.
- May be exposed to extreme cold from walk-in coolers/freezers for up to one hour at a time.
- May be exposed to extreme heat from hot burners and/or steam for extended periods of time.
- May be exposed to minimal amount of smoke for extended periods of time.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Irregular hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as determined by event schedule.
- Extended hours may be required, as determined by event schedule
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled