SMG Martial Arts Instructor - Morgan Park Sports Center in Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Martial Arts Instructor -- Part-time
Reports To: Yoga & Fitness Coordinator
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Summary: We are looking for an enthusiastic Martial Arts Instructor who is passionate about teaching children and adults. The current programming includes kids and adult jujitsu classes, but we are open to all types of martial arts instruction, so you will have some creative freedom in developing programing. As the Martial Arts Instructor, you will teach new skills to members ranging from age 5 -- 13+, to help them develop martial arts techniques while focusing on life skills such as respect, confidence, and discipline. Instruction will include safe, exciting and comprehensive Martial Arts training programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops comprehensive Martial Arts training programs.
- Remains current on certifications and new trends in the martial arts area.
- Instructs scheduled classes, beginning and ending on time; provides adequate and effective fitness skills and lessons
- Instructs patrons on appropriate workout methods; explains proper techniques and demonstrates exercises
- Prepares appropriate equipment, music, and handouts for each class.
- Assists patrons, answers questions, and maintains a positive fitness experience for members and class participants
- Keeps management informed of customer and facility needs.
- Ensures that safety standards are met, and department and facility policies are adhered to.
- Implements and regulates the facilities' policies and procedures.
- Previous teaching experience and working with children required.
- Able to teach one or more martial arts classes to both children and adults.
- Self-motivated, with excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Punctual, reliable, organized and responsible.
- Takes regular attendance before class.
- Communicates with parents
Qualifications: The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must possess current Red Cross CPR certification, Certified Instructor in area of expertise or equivalent. Ability to work with limited supervision and as a team member. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit for long hours and work with various types of fitness equipment. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally must aide or assist participants. The employee must have the endurance to complete the instruction of the assigned fitness program.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled